On year after the foundation of Lagavulin in 1816, a second distillery, Kildalton was build on the same site.
They joined their activities in 1837 when Lagavulin belonged to Donald Johnston, descendant of the founder, John Johnston. Both distilleries are operating under one entity since then.
After the death of Donald Johnston, the distillery was managed successively by John C. Graham, Walter Graham and James Mackie.The son of James, Peter Jeffrey Mackie entered in business in 1878. Amongst other things he created the well known blend “White Horse”. This blend still contains Lagavulin malt nowadays.
En 1908 the managers of Lagavulin decided to build a new distillery, Malt Mill with the clear intention to compete with the neighbour distillery, Laphroaig. Peter Mackie was commercial agent of Laphroaig until a serious difference of opinion occurred between them. The war between both distilleries began. Peter Mackie did not hesitate to hire away the still master of Laphroaig.
Peter Mackie, whose nickname was Restless Peter also acquired the Craigellachie distillery in Speyside and Hazelburn in Campbeltown.
When Restless Peter died, the distillery came under control of White Horse Distillers which has been bought by D.C.L. in 1927. Later D.C.L was incorporated in S.M.D before being part of U.D.V (United Distillers and Vintners -Diageo).
Malt Mill was dismantled in 1960, and the 2 stills were transferred to Lagavulin 2 years later.
Lagavulin is part of the famous collection “Classic Malts” started in 1988.
Name: Lagavulin Pronunciation: LA-ga-VOO-lin) Region: Islay GPS location: 55°38'7.908 N, 6°7'34.968 W Founded: 1816 Status: Active Water source: Solum Lochs Equipment: 2 Wash stills, 2 Spirit stills Production capacity: 2,250,000 litres Ownership: Diageo (since 1927) Address: Port Ellen, Argyll PA42 7DZ, Islay, Scotland, UK Visitor centre: Yes Website: No