The Glen Elgin distillery has been founded at the end of the whisky-boom in 1898. No more than 2 months later, the market collapsed.
Despite the crisis, the owners William Simpson (former manager of Glenfarclas) and James Carle decided to continue their activities on a smaller scale. But this was not such a good decision, as they were forced to end the production and to sell their distillery as soon as November 1900, just 6 months after their first distillation.
The distillery has had several owners before 1936, when it was taken over by the UDV through the Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd.
As most of the distilleries had to, Glen Elgin closed during World War II, and unfortunately, the railway which was close to the distillery is disused since the early 1950's.
Despite all this difficulties, the distillery has been refurbished in 1964 and the number of stills has been tripled. But the distillery closed again in 1992 and 1995.
The major part of the production is used in the White Horse blends.